Thursday, March 1, 2012

Going up in Smoke

Print Friendly and PDF
News reports this week in the daily paper http://www.nzherald.co.nz/health/news/article.cfm?c_id=204&objectid=10787873 suggest that the best way to give up smoking is to go "Cold Turkey" instead of trying all those nicotine patches, gum and hypnotism. An article about a Fireman who gave up a year ago was very interesting and I was able to relate to his experiences when I gave up smoking 27 odd years ago. (27 years,4 days 3 hours and 25 seconds…. Nah, just kidding, it was the best health choice I had ever made till that time)

Lighter Collection
The Catalyst for me was the impending arrival of our "Miracle baby" Heather and the continual insistence by my older daughter Kelly, that I should give up smoking so that I wouldn't pollute the house and anyway it would be better for my health and the rest of the family. My elderly, bearded pipe smoking Doctor (who was a REAL character) made it clear that I should stop smoking and he said that for every cigarette I didn't smoke, I would gain 2 more minutes of life! I suddenly realized  what a wonderful opportunity I had to improve my personal standing in the world, so I decided to give up.

At the time I was a Branch Sales Representative for a major NZ Wines and Spirits company and I had built up a wide range of personal clients over a 25 year period including Army, Navy, Police and every Navy base and ship in the Auckland region. This included ships stores for visiting Navies, Returned Services Clubs and other liquor outlets. I was able to purchase cigarettes at duty free prices and therefore access to cheap cigarettes and cigars was no problem. I also owned an extensive range of Zippo & Ronson lighters, many fancy ash trays and other smoking accoutrements and until then smoking had always been accepted in our society as a leisure activity. I loved American cigarettes with their toasted flavour, but absolutely hated the French "Galois" and I was particular about what loose tobacco I bought. I was introduced to "chawing baccy" by a US Navy Chief Petty Officer from Texas, but the idea of spitting out the chewed bits (just like John Wayne as a cowboy) didn't really appeal, but I did enjoy the odd cigarillo.

Grants Whisky Lighter
One night I decided to stop smoking completely instead of trying to wean myself off over time and I put the half smoked pack into a kitchen cupboard. I thought that if I knew the cigarettes were there, I wouldn't consciously start looking or wondering where they might be, thereby triggering a desire to have a smoke and this seemed to work. I also decided not to eat sweets as they would only hasten tooth decay and I tried not to talk about giving up to friends and neighbors. The first couple of weeks were quite demanding, but with heaps of encouragement from the family, combined with a determination that I would succeed, I found that I coped very well. Another incentive was the monetary saving and I decided to treat myself to the odd fancy food item such as camembert and brie which were deemed to be luxury items in our household. After a month or so I realized I was regaining a superior sense of smell and my throat seemed clearer and I wasn't coughing as much. Taste was another plus and I enjoyed the taste of fruit and vegetables once again, while bacon and coffee smells were fantastic. I can vividly remember the time I smelt a steak cooking in a restaurant, that was at least 50 metres away! I did gain a little weight, but this wasn't a lasting problem back then and I soon returned to my normal weight. I became aware that people who do smoke smell awful when close by, their clothing smells and stale cigarette smoke is not a pleasant experience.

An old Navy Favourite
It took about five years or so to change smoking habits and I still patted my pockets when entering any club to check if I had cigarettes and lighter!. In my opinion smoking is a drug, but it is mainly a habit and cold turkey is the best way of stopping permanently. You also have to have a desire to quit and an extra two seconds of life for every cigarette not smoked is surely incentive enough! Fortunately none of my Children or Grandchildren smoke and I am grateful for that. My Father In Law was a smoker and although he quit some years ago, he died 12 months ago of Emphysema and I wouldn't wish that on any family as it is a painful way to end your life.

All children should be taught at an early age the mantra "If you don't smoke, Don't start!"

1 comment:

  1. Good News relating to my previous blog about my old friend being mown over. "COLIN" the cardigan is being resurrected as I write! My darling Wife Lyn is carefully undoing the whole garment and is reknitting it from scratch,using any available lengths! Rise of the Phoenix indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Please add a comment :-)